Monday, March 11, 2013

Chalkboard DIY Project

I had a very productive weekend. For a while now I had wanted to make a chalkboard for my son. I saw the procedure on Pinterest (my current addiction) and went on Friday to get the materials. I went to my local Home Depot and found exactly what I needed.

The materials needed:
-Non-Sanded Grout
-Acrylic Paint Big bottle, not the two little ones I have on the picture(any color you wish)
-Piece of Wood (any size)
-Sand Paper
-Paint Brushes or Foam Brushes
-Whisk or piece of wood to mix the paint and grout


The first step is to mix a cup of paint and 2 teaspoons of Grout. Mix until the lumps are all out. (Tip: I couldn't get the lumps out and when I did it was a real thick mush ball, therefore I added a little bit of water to make it runny)


I got a large piece of cork board from Home Depot for 51 cents. (Tip: Home Depot has scraps of wood that they sale for 51 cents. It's great to use for DIY Projects and of course super cheap). I sanded the wood a bit began putting the paint with a foam brush.
Awesome project to have your kids help you with

I put 2 coats of paint on it and let it dry overnight. The next day I added a coat of chalk. Yes, chalk not sure why they suggest to do this, but I read it everywhere. Once you have done this clean it with a damp cloth.
Once you clean off the chalk your new board is ready to be used. My son loved it, he won't stop playing with it and now he's talking about doing a white board. He says he is now ready to teach his class.

No comments:

Post a Comment