Monday, February 11, 2013

The Aftermath of Birth

I never gave postpartum depression much thought. After I had my son almost 7 years ago, I never felt sad or any of the symptoms related to it. I quit work to become a stay at home mom and it was one of the happiest times of my life.
The second time around has not been as smooth as the first time though. This transition to becoming a full time mom has not been easy at all. It's been almost a year now since I quit my job and I'm barely getting into the groove of things. Since having my daughter I wouldn't say that I have felt sad or depressed, just unmotivated. Unmotivated to continue my weight loss I had began before I got pregnant, to finish different projects I began, or to go back to school. It's been hard for me to get myself in a schedule, much less my daughter and it's extremely hard to do it when you have absolutely no motivation. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to talk to anyone around me about it, they may not understand it, especially since in my culture that is a taboo subject. Among Hispanics postpartum depression is non-existent and if you feel any related symptom you better hurry up and get over it, sad to say, but that is how it is.
It has taken me a while to realize and accept that I may be going through some sort of depression, but now that I have, I feel like I can move forward. This is part of the reason why I created this blog, so that I can have a way to vent my thoughts and feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment